NACVCB Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I apply for crime victim compensation?
A: Victims should apply in the state where the crime occurred.  Every state in the country, as well as D.C., the Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico, offers crime victim compensation benefits. See our Program Directory for more information on each state. There is no federal or national crime victim compensation program for crimes occurring within the U.S.

However, the U.S. Department of Justice does operate an expense reimbursement program for U.S. citizens who are victims of international terrorism outside the U.S.In general, a victim should apply in the state where the crime occurred. A few states may offer coverage to victims who are injured in other U.S. jurisdictions; and about half the states will offer benefits to their residents who are injured in foreign countries. This is a matter of state law, and the individual state program must be contacted with regard to eligibility for crimes outside the state.In general, these state victim compensation programs offer benefits to victims of violent crime only, and their families, rather than property crimes or losses. There are a few exceptions in several states, which can be checked on the state’s compensation program Website.

2. Where can I get more information about compensation?
A: Each state provides information about its program through its Website, and through brochures that are available from the program and from many victim assistance agencies.  The Website you are now on has a Program Directory that provides summary information about each program, as well as a link to the individual state’s websites.  We also have a State Links page on this site that may help victims find their way to the program that can help them.

3. What benefits are available?
A: Each state determines the types of benefits, and the amounts that can be paid. In general, the costs of recovering from violent crime are covered, including medical care, counseling, lost wages if an injury prevents a victim from working, and funerals and lost support in homicides. States do not cover property crimes or losses, with a few exceptions in several states.